The Institute of Advanced Research on Artificial Intelligence (IARAI) invites applicants for a postdoctoral research position in the domain of computer vision and machine learning.
The Institute of Advanced Research in Artificial Intelligence (IARAI) in Vienna is advancing basic and applied research in Artificial intelligence and is building a unique environment of world-class researchers and industrial-scale real-world data openly shared with the scientific community.
We are looking for a highly qualified Research Fellow at the postdoc level who will conduct original research on computer vision and machine learning, focusing on learning visual representations under different settings. Topics of interest include:
- continual learning
- metric learning and instance-level retrieval
- self-supervised, semi-supervised and few-shot learning
- localization/grounding, alignment, and interpretability
- multimodal learning, vision-and-language tasks
The postdoc will work with Principal Investigator Yannis Avrithis.
- The preferred starting date is the beginning of 2023. The duration is two years, with potential for extension.
- The position is full-time and located at Vienna, Austria. It is fully funded with a generous remuneration package.
- IARAI is an equal opportunity employer and values diversity. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, or disability status.
- Scientists do not need a work permit in Austria. A residency permit is required but granted automatically for researchers at universities and institutes.
- Candidates from abroad who meet specific requirements may be entitled to tax benefits, including a flat average tax rate and a deduction from taxable income.
What we are looking for
- PhD degree in computer vision, machine learning or closely related field
- proven publication record in top tier venues in the above fields, including CVPR, ICCV, ECCV, NeurIPS, ICML, ICLR, IJCV, PAMI, JMLR
- strong scientific background and problem-solving attitude
- ability to work both independently and as a part of a team in a highly collaborative environment
- motivation and ability to support PhD and Masters students
What we offer
- the freedom to pursue your ground-breaking academic research
- a stimulating multi-national and interdisciplinary open work environment
- world-class infrastructure, on-premise HPC
- our generous remuneration package that includes comprehensive family health care, substantial pension plans (EU-wide), relocation support, etc.
We work in the very center of Vienna, next to a public park, shared bike terminals, metro, and train stations. The airport is just 15 minutes by direct train.
Vienna is ranked the best city in the world to live in, for 10 years in a row. Enjoy the outstanding quality of life with vast green spaces, efficient public transport, excellent health care, affordable housing, safe and friendly environment, world-renowned museums, and beautiful architecture.
How to apply
Applications have to include in a single PDF file:
- a cover letter, including contact information of two referees (at most 1 page)
- a concise research statement including an outline of research plans (at most 3 pages)
- a full academic curriculum vitae, including list of publications
- a transcript of doctoral studies and the degree certificate of the latest degree; a plan of completion in case the PhD degree is not awarded yet