Traffic Map Movie Forecasting 2020
- Study high-resolution traffic movies of entire cities
- Predict future traffic flows
- Discover underlying rules and patterns
Building on its success at NeurIPS 2019, the Traffic4cast competition is going into its second year offering new challenges and opportunities. This year’s dataset will be derived from an order of magnitude more data. We are collecting data from 10 cities of different size, geography, culture, and economy. The core challenge will be to predict short-term large-scale traffic states in all the cities. Participants can investigate differences and similarities in traffic patterns between the cities, and explore master models trained on multiple cities. The dataset will be augmented by new static and dynamic features, such as street maps properties, points of interest, weather, air pollution, and special events. The bonus challenges invite participants to explore the effects of these additional features.
Interested in revolutionizing our understanding of mobility?
Join our forums now to help shape this year’s competition!
The incredibly creative solutions last year revealed surprising insights:
- Our simple movies provided sufficient information to make state-of-the-art traffic predictions.
- Additional traffic attributes (weather, road map properties) are of value for bonus challenges and improve more complex models.
- It may be possible to separate rules underlying traffic dynamics from city-specific forecasts (transfer learning).
Data example from Traffic4cast 2019.