The Institute of Advanced Research in Artificial Intelligence (IARAI) GmbH, registered at Rooseveltplatz 10 c/o hba, 1090 Vienna, Austria (“Organizer”) organizes several online discussion forums, a range of data analysis competitions, and related physical meetings with the main purpose of scientific education and exchange.
In order to participate in the skills based Traffic4Cast competition, including the forums, and/or related personal meetings, if any (“Competition”), you must first accept these Terms and Conditions (“Terms”). If after reading these Terms, you decide not to accept them, please do not confirm acceptance. If you accept these Terms, you will declare that you have read and understood these Terms and agreed to them.
1. Initial Provisions
1. These Terms specify the rules and process for conducting the Competition organized by the Organizer.
2. The Organizer might organize a symposium in order to present the winning solutions of the Competition (“Symposium”) in which case the winners will be notified accordingly; the costs related to the Symposium will be borne by the Organizer at its discretion.
2. Conditions of Participation
1. The Competition is intended for natural persons who, at the time of registering for participation in the Competition, meet the following criteria:
a) are at least thirteen (13) years of age or if they are under thirteen (13) years of age, or at least thirteen (13) years of age but are considered a minor where they live, they have their parent or legal guardian accept their registration on their behalf; anyone completing the registration must be legally competent
b) have created a user account with the Organizer; and
c) have read the content of these Terms, accepted their provisions and agreed to participate in the Competition as described on the website https://www.iarai.ac.at/traffic4cast (“Organizer’s Website”).
Competition is open to residents of all countries, except for residents of Iran, Crimea, Syria, North Korea, Sudan, Cuba and any other countries which are subject to EU and/or US sanctions not allowing participation in the Competition.
2. The Organizer’s employees who are directly involved in the work related to the Competition and members of their families, as well as employees of HERE Global B.V. (“Data Provider”)/its affiliates and members of their families, are prohibited from participating in the Competition. Family members shall mean ascendants, descendants, siblings, spouse’s siblings, spouse’s parents, relatives in the sideline to the first degree and persons in the adoption or marriage ratio.
3. Participation in the Competition is free and voluntary.
3. Protection of Personal Data
1. The personal data of participants to the Competition (“Participants”) is collected by the Organizer, in order to process the registration, to organize and manage the Competition and provide information about related events or events organized by the Organizer in the future.
2. With the acceptance of these Terms, the Participants consent to and expressly authorize the Organizer to use their personal data for the above purposes and transfer their data to partners or sponsors of the Organizer for the purpose of the Competition.
3. Participants accept that their identity can be published on leader boards displayed on the Organizer’s Website and, should a prize be won, it can also be published on the Organizer’s Website to announce the recipient of the respective prize.
4. Participants can exercise their rights of access, rectification, cancellation and opposition by sending a certified letter or email to the Organizer, clearly indicating the right exercised.
4. Competition Rules
1. In order to participate in the Competition, applicants must register by accepting these Terms as described on the Organizer’s Website.
2. During the Competition, Participants can work individually
or in teams (hereinafter “Team”).
3. The Organizer reserves the right to limit the number of entries submitted to the Competition.
4. During the Competition, Participants will work on any of the challenges described in detail on the Organizer’s Website (“Competition Challenges”).
5. The prizes or distinctions specified in the Terms will be awarded to the Participants who, in accordance with these Terms, will present the best competition entries in the jury’s opinion.
6. Competition Challenges, announced on the Organizer’s Website, will include, at a minimum, the core challenge of forecasting the accuracy of traffic map movie predictions as measured by the mean squared error of the submitted future pixel values for 3 images (corresponding to a prediction of 15min into the future). Further details are specified in the Evaluation section of the Organizer’s Website.
7. The Competition will commence at 00:00 CET on June 1, 2019 and will last until 00:00 CET on October 1, 2019 (hereafter referred to as “Submission Deadline”). From 00:00 CET on July 1, 2019 until the Submission Deadline, Participants can provide their predictions to be compared with a withheld data set that will be scored, to be used for updating the leader-board published on the Organizer’s Website at a frequency and level of service provision announced by the Organizer on the Organizer’s Website.
8. Participants are tasked with creating a solution during the Competition. All proposed solutions and case studies should be built based on the traffic map movie data provided by the Data Provider (“Data Sets”) or any other data the Organizer makes available for Competition Challenges via the Organizer’s Website to all Participants.
9. In order to work on Competition Challenges, Participants must download the Data Sets from the Data Provider’s website and accept the applicable terms and conditions. The Organizer will specify the link to the Data Provider’s website on the Organizer’s website. Participants may use publicly available programming libraries and are required to use their own equipment during the Competition.
10. The Competition will be conducted according to the following schedule:
(i) Competition start: June 1, 2019
(ii) Ability to submit solutions for scoring at announced frequency and service level: from July 1, 2019
(iii) Submission Deadline: October 1, 2019
(iv) Announcement of winners: by October 31, 2019.
11. Participants who participate in the Symposium (if organized) will present their solutions to the public.
12. Ideas or contributions whose presentation, execution or development is susceptible to infringe the law and/or violate the rights of third parties will not be admitted. Contributions that promote violence or discrimination based on sex, age, beliefs, ideology or any other reason will not be accepted either.
13. In the event a Participant or a Team violates the provisions of the Terms and/or applicable law, the Organizer will have the right to disqualify the Participant or the respective Team.
1. Competition entries will be evaluated by the jury composed of the Organizer’s organization committee as stated on the Organizer’s Website. The core Competition Challenge will be solely evaluated on the provided metric (mean squared error as described on the Organizer’s Website), but other challenges, if they are not based on purely numerical decision making, will be judged by the jury at its sole discretion.
2. Competition entries for challenges that are not subject to a clear numerical metric will be evaluated according to the following criteria: a) Innovation and attractiveness of the solution, b) Generalizability of the approach and c) Elegance.
3. Jury will nominate a selection of Participants/Teams on merit to the Symposium (if organized).
4. The Organizer provides prizes to the winners of the core Competition Challenge as follows:
a) 1st place voucher or cash prize worth 10,000€ to the Participant/Team;
b) 2nd place a voucher or cash prize worth 5,000€ to the Participant/Team;
c) 3rd place a voucher or cash prize worth 2,000€ to the Participant/Team.
5. The Organizer may award additional prizes to the Participants/Teams.
6. The decisions of the jury are final and cannot be appealed.
7. The Organizer is not responsible for any taxes, customs charges or other costs required for or related to receiving a prize. Each winner is required to independently declare and pay any applicable taxes and charges that a prize gives rise to in the respective jurisdiction.
6. Intellectual Property Rights
1. Participants shall be the owners of all intellectual property rights to works created during the Competition. Unless otherwise agreed between the Participants and the Data Provider, Participants are permitted to use the Data Sets exclusively for the purposes of the Competition and they shall license the Competition submissions and the source code used to generate the Competition submissions under an Apache 2.0 License (https://www.apache.org/licenses/LICENSE-2.0.txt) that in no case (i) limits commercial use of such code or model containing or depending on such code and (ii) violates the intellectual property rights of any third party. Notwithstanding the foregoing, the Participants are permitted to publish articles and documentation regarding their Competition submissions in academic and scientific publications under terms that are common for the purposes of such publications, whereas they shall publish their Competition submissions on https://arxiv.org/. The Participants shall further comply with all requirements set by Data Provider in the license governing use of the Data Sets.
2. Participants declare that the solution submitted during the Competition is their authorship and does not violate any rights of third parties. Participants also declare that they assume full and unlimited liability for any claims of third parties directed against the Organizer, arising in connection with the Participants’ performance or activity related to the Competition Challenge.
7. Image rights
1. By participating in the Symposium (if organized), Participants grant the Organizer permission to record their image on photographic and video materials for promotional purposes for an indefinite period of time, without restrictions and without remuneration. The Organizer shall also have the right to publish and publicly display through different communication channels (including press releases and entries in blogs and other channels such as Twitter, Facebook, etc.) the images of Participants and other Competition information for any purpose, without any financial compensation to the Participants.
8. Cancellation of the Competition
The Organizer reserves the right to cancel or modify the Competition.
9. Risks and Liability
1. During the Symposium (if organized), Participants shall not be under the influence of alcohol or drugs and they shall do their best to avoid the possibility of being injured. Participants commit to carefully consider the risks inherent in any activity in which they choose to participate and to take reasonable precautions before attending the Symposium. Participants understand that their attendance at the Symposium will be voluntary and they will undertake to assume responsibility for any resulting injury to the maximum extent permitted by applicable laws.
2. Participants hereby release, waive, exempt and agree not to sue the Organizer and their respective parent companies, subsidiaries, affiliates, directors, officers, partners, shareholders, members, agents, employees, distributors, sponsors and volunteers for any claim, demand, right of action, damage, loss or expense (including procedural costs and reasonable legal fees) that may arise or result from their participation in the Competition and attendance at the Symposium (if organized), except in case of gross negligence of the Organizer.
3. Participants agree to hold harmless the Organizer, its parent companies, subsidiaries, affiliates, directors, officers, employees, agents and representatives, from any and all claims or demands made by third parties, related to their participation in the Competition.
1. Any doubt or discrepancy arising from the application or interpretation of these Terms during the Competition, will be resolved ultimately by the Organizer. The Terms are governed by the laws of Austria without giving effect to conflict of laws provisions. Depending on the place of Participants’ residence, additional local rules and regulations may apply. Sole venue will be in the courts of Vienna, Austria.
11. Final Provisions
1. The Organizer reserves the right to change the Terms. The Competition may be subject to additional terms specified on the Organizer’s Website.
2. The Organizer will inform the Participants about the change of the Terms by electronic means and will place the Terms in the new wording on the Organizer’s Website.
3. These Terms are published on the Organizer’s Website.